Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 in review

On May 17th, 2014- a little over six months ago- I started Brickology with the intent of highlighting the best LEGO fan creations from around the web, along with other LEGO-related musings. Now it's the end of the year (already!) and it's time for my 2014 recap. In this post I'll talk a little bit about the development of Brickology throughout those months as well as what it's been like running an increasingly popular LEGO blog. 

Most popular posts
The ten most popular posts on Brickology this year were:
  1. Of cosmic proportions
  2. Executron from The LEGO Movie looks like Tumblr's "anonymous" symbol
  3. Why are collectible minifigures so overpriced now? [Editorial]
  4. Grow up or wither
  5. Star Vikings
  6. Supernova
  7. Abaqa
  8. Nice curves
  9. Super 7
  10. Vespa
In first place for the year was my post on Jerac's stunning (and huge) Imperial Star Destroyer replica. Close behind was a post that I just made as a quick joke, but it seems to have been popular. Readers also enjoyed my essay about how pricey LEGO's collectible Minifigures line has become and why that's a problem. Filling out the top ten are a collection of MOCs from all different themes and areas of the community.

Traffic sources and audience
Much of my traffic came from Google and Netvibes. Within the LEGO community, I got a lot of pageviews from The Brothers Brick, Build Like a Boss, Big Sal's Brick Blog, BrickRSS, and The LEGO Car Blog

The top ten visiting countries were:
  1. United States
  2. United Kingdom
  3. Germany
  4. France
  5. Australia
  6. Turkey
  7. Portugal
  8. Russia
  9. Poland
  10. Canada  
More info
- Average posts per month this year: 27 
- Total Pins on Brickology's Pinterest board this year: 210
- Most popular Pin on Brickology's Pinterest board: Tuna the Phelfie Dog
Brickology's stats courtesy of Alexa.com (I'm ranked #9.4 million in the world!)

What's it been like for me? 
I have had a lot of fun working on Brickology. After seeing great blogs like The Brothers Brick, The LEGO Car Blog, and many others, I wanted to help spread the amazing work of the LEGO fan community to the rest of the world, and hopefully inspire more people to take up LEGO as a hobby and an art form. I plan to continue updating this blog into 2015 and beyond. 

A lot of people and blogs in the online LEGO community have helped me out along the way. The LEGO Car Blog, Big Sal's Brick Blog, and Build Like A Boss all added Brickology to their blogrolls. BrickRSS was also kind enough to add Brickology to its LEGO blog RSS feed. Additionally, shout out to everyone who followed Brickology on Pinterest, Twitter, and Google+!

Thanks to all my readers (past, present and future), and to all the members of the LEGO community who build such amazing creations and make browsing Flickr for models to blog a joy every day. Have fun and Leg Godt

No comments: